Wednesday, 4 May 2011
Due to a scheduled overnight Electrical Outage in the Library Building, the Library and E-Lab will need to close at 5pm this Friday. The e-lab will reopen to students with access cards at 9am Saturday May 7, and the library reopen as normal at 10am Saturday.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Tuesday, 3 May 2011
10. social Research Methods.
Monday, 2 May 2011
If you place a VDX request for something that we already have, the request does not get processed, and will remain in VDX until we reply to you and advise that the item is in the Library. This takes time, and delays you obtaining the requested item..
The best way of avoiding this is to check Library One Search and / or the library catalogue prior to placing a VDX request.
The Library would very much like to offer more silent areas for students when space is made available – this is likely in 2 to 3 years when a major service centre facility building is constructed on campus.
Thursday, 21 April 2011
To access this journal online, simply do a 'journal' search in the library catalogue.
Wednesday, 16 February 2011
We suggest using the latest Firefox browser. Download Firefox here.
Please try the following instructions to fix any access problems. If you continue to experience problems please contact us at http://www.ecu.edu.au/centres/library-services/contact for more assistance.
(These instructions are for Internet Explorer 7 but they should be similar for other versions)
- Ensure that you only have one Internet Explorer window and one tab open.
- Go to Tools, Internet Options, Security tab. Bring the Security level to Medium.
- Go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy tab. Bring the Settings down to Accept all cookies
- Go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy tab. Unclick “Turn on pop-up blocker” to turn it off.
- You MUST be away from the error/login page, then clear cache by going to Tools, Delete browsing history, Delete All
- repeat step 5 above and go to Tools, Internet Options, Security tab. Click on Sites button to the right of Trusted Sites.
- Add the following two urls: http://ecu.summon.serialssolutions.com/%20and and http://KX7GX4PM8T.search.serialssolutions.com/.
- Click Add button after each one.
- Click Close when finished.
- Click OK from Internet Options screen
- In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Security tab. Make sure that in Select a zone... window that Internet is selected.
- Click Custom Level and scroll down about half way to Display mixed content in the Miscellaneous section. Check if this shows Disable. If so, change it from Disable to Prompt.
- Click OK, Yes, and OK.
- The change should take effect immediately.
- When you click on the database URL, you may get a message similar to the following:-
If you click on 'Continue to this website', you may get a bar in the top of your screen similar to this
To prevent future problems, you can install the certificate in your browser. You do this by clicking on the words 'Certificate Error' in the page header:-
Then click 'View Certificates' from the dropdown box which appears, and choose 'Install Certificate' button. This will start the wizard to import the certificate, and after this you should not get any error message with the database.
How to link to electronic journal articles (held by ECU) directly from Google Scholar search results
If we hold the electronic fulltext of the article, the Find It @ ECU link will appear to the right of the citation (For example, the first citation below). If we don't hold fulltext, the Find It @ ECU link is at the bottom of the citation. (For example, the second citation below).
To set up access from off-campus:-
- Go to Google Scholar and click on Scholar Preferences
- Under 'Library Links' section, type 'Edith Cowan University' in the search box and click 'Find Library' button.
- Click checkbox in 'Library Links' section for Edith Cowan University Find It @ ECU. (Ignore any entry for Edith Cowan University - FullText@IngentaConnect)
- Click 'Save Preferences' button
- In order for the journal article link to appear in Mozilla Firefox, users have to install a browser extension:-Click here to download the extension. If Firefox brings up an installation prompt, click "Install". If it asks you if you want to open or save the file, open the file with Firefox as the application. Alternatively, you can save the file to disk and drag it on to the Firefox window.
- Restart the browser, and the extension is installed!
- Enter ECU's linking information. The first time you restart the browser after installing the extension, the following configuration window will appear. This needs to be completed as in the screenshot below:
- You can choose to display the local library link as text or an image. Select one of these options, and specify either the text to be displayed (example above) or a URL pointing to the desired imageMore information about the extension is available at http://openly.com/openurlref/